So you have your blog up and running and you have been writing content, but to no avail have you been able to attract any traffic to your site. Well with these tips you should start getting steady traffic to your blog in no time. SEO generally is a more long term strategy and you won’t see results immediately, but these tips will allow you to make small tweaks to your posts. Which in the end will make all the difference when it comes to your SEO strategy.
With SEO it is important to try and get as much as possible right with your content from the beginning. This will just make it easier for you to rank your blog posts when you start moving to more advanced strategies. Also if you apply some of these seo for bloggers tips you should be able to see some improvement in rankings quite quickly.
SEO in the end is all about tweaking your content. Thus why it’s called search engine optimization. It is important to optimize your content as you grow your blog. The more you make small tweaks the better your chance will be of ranking.
SEO for bloggers steps
1. Keyword research
Keyword research truly is the most important first step. Without it all your SEO efforts down the line might be for nothing. Find the right keywords and start capitalizing on them. What you want to look for in a keyword is the following:
- Long tailed keywords. Try to select keyword phrases which are longer than 5 words. This just makes your phrases more targeted. Don’t always aim for the highest traffic keyword. However always include it. This just gives search engines more context on what your posts are actually about. I am a firm believer in using suggested keywords which search engines like Google show you at the bottom of their page fully in your posts. This just helps the search engine relate to your content. If they are suggesting those other keywords it only makes sense that the search engine itself sees those keywords as related to the content you are searching for. So if you had to include all those keywords wouldn’t that just make your posts seem more like an authority on that particular topic?
- Aim for lower volume less competition. In the beginning it will be very hard for you to compete with more authoritative and older sites in your niche. For that reason you need to start creating social proof that your content is authoritative. So in order to do that you need to just start getting some traffic to your blog. Make sure to have Google analytics installed on your blog. If your content is good your bounce rate should be low. So with a lower bounce rate Google may start to favor your site because your content just seems so much more engaging. This will just create the social proof you need to start ranking for more competitive keywords. So the advice is always to aim for lower competition keywords immediately but to include the high competition keyword you actually want to rank for in your posts. When the social proof goes up your high competition keyword might just rise as well.
2. Optimizing your content
In order to start improving your over all search engine ranking you need to start improving your content. The more rich your content the more engaged your users should be in theory. So search engines will reward you for this. It is the purpose of search engines to try and give their users searching for websites the best experience possible. If you have engaging content you will get SEO benefit for it. Here are a few tips on how you can make your content more engaging and optimized.
- Images. Make use of attractive imagery. Related to your content. Pictures are still very eye catching and can keep users on your site for longer. Even if the average engagement only increases by a few seconds. Without images there is just this big daunting body of text. You might be able to attract hard core readers, but most people will just bounce directly off your page.
- Include video. Nowadays video really can increase engagement. Video is a lot easier to digest than a body of text on your blog. If you embed a video in your blog post. Your engagement will shoot up. Most people will watch a video for at least 30 seconds before making a decision about your content. This just adds an additional 30 seconds to your page view time. Not just that but search engines will see this as a great sign that your content might be authoritative. Apart from that the views you get on your video if you shared it from Youtube will up your Youtube channel authority as well which is a double bonus for your online business.
- Longer content. Increase the number of words you use in your blog posts. Make sure you add value with every word though otherwise you will lose visitors. The big benefit of adding more words to your blog posts are. That search engines have more words which they can rank you for. Your visitors will be more engaged because they know you are a definitive source of information. Just over all the content just looks richer. Be careful though with longer content you need to strategically break your content down into sizable and digestible chunks. So that there isn’t an information overload for your users. Keep it interesting and to the point while trying to get more words into your posts.
- Add more value. Try to add more value by linking to other useful resources on your website. This will for one really help your visitors navigate your blog, but also give search engines more context on what all your content is really about.
- Alt attributes. Make sure to add alt attributes to your images which you include in your blog posts. This just gives more relevance to your posts, but also gives your images a chance to rank in the image results on search engines. Which could also lead back to your blog.
- Optimized titles. Make sure to follow a standard in your titles. Generally I advise that you use the lower competition keyword first then your higher competition keyword in the title as a secondary keyword. Always include your keywords in your title in some way or form. It is also worth noting that if you optimize your titles to be attractive to users then you could get more clicks. An example would be if you were ranking 3rd on Google and another site ranked 1st but your title is just so much more catching to the eye you might get all the traffic rather than the 1st result.
- Meta descriptions. Meta descriptions actually have such a deceiving name. The word Meta which refers to you providing additional information about your page for indexing. Actually meta descriptions should contain your keywords but offer a clear message on what the visitors can expect from your page. Why this is important is because this could effect your bounce rate. If you are promising one thing and your visitors get something else this could be a sure way to get a high bounce rate and lose traction with search engines for your targeted keyword. Always make meta descriptions clear and deliver on your promises.
- Urls or Permalinks. Always make sure that your keyword is included in your urls of your blog posts. This just adds another point to your relevance score. It’s a small thing to add in wordpress. Just go ahead and make sure you do it right.
- Loading time. Even though page load time is not directly related to search engine rankings and does not improve your ranking directly. Research has shown that page load speed is more of a search engine penalty than a boost. If your page load time is faster than another page with a bad page load speed and all other factors are exactly the same your site will rank higher just because it can offer a better experience for the visitor. So this is just a nice benefit if you are neck and neck with your competition. However it’s always just good practice to have a fast loading site. Also due to a better experience for your visitors the more engagement you will get, bounce rate will go down and your search engine ranking will go up.
- Mobile friendliness. Make sure when choosing a theme for your blog that it is mobile friendly. There is a definite correlation between search engine rankings and mobile friendly sites. Just due to the user experience being improved for mobile users this will effect bounce rate and therefore search engine rankings once again.
- Yoast SEO. If you are using WordPress as your platform you can install Yoast SEO which is a tool which will give you suggestions for optimizing your blog content. The Yoast plugin is a very useful tool and will get you on the right track quickly and easily.
3. Advanced methods
If you have done everything else right it is time to start looking at more advanced methods of ranking. Some of the biggest ranking factors in search engines today is back links. Back links provide extra credibility to your blog. By having other blogs and other websites link to your pages from their related sites will help give more relevance to your content. There fore boosting your search engine rankings for your keywords.
Ways to get backlinks
- Comment on other niche related sites with meaningful and useful information in your niche. Make sure to make it useful and drop in your link for anyone who wants to check out your site. This is a great strategy because you are not just creating back links, but you could get traffic from those websites as well. Of course the other added benefit is that you will be building trust from users which have an interest in your particular niche. Always keep your back links relevant. It just makes it easier to build trust that way.
- Join forums in your niche and start contributing. Make sure again to add value and drop your links in there now and then in a non spammy way.
- Create a secondary blog. Start another blog on a free blogging platform and write similar high quality content and start linking back to your blog posts.
- Guest post. Contact other blogs in your niche and offer a guest post exchange where you post their blog post on your blog and they yours on theirs and add in your links.
- Link back from social profiles. There are just so many social media sites out there now. Make sure to join as many as possible and add your links to your site.
So that concludes this post about seo for bloggers. I hope this has been useful and you can take action from this post. If you felt this helped you please share this post. Follow me on Pinterest and Youtube and let me know what other posts you would like to read about.
Here are some other resources you might like.